Personal Apothecary

I’ve found myself fascinated by mixology,  medicinal herbs and botanicals, and general alchemy for some time now and have been known to delve into such hippy-dippy leanings as to throw some angelica or ashwagandha root in my coffee, brew an herbal tea concoction with dandelion leaves, and make my own bitters. So, over the course of time I’ve managed to amass quite a few baggies of various herbs, leaves, and roots from our local herbalist depots. I decided it was high time that I made my very own apothecary! The word itself just gets me excited. Like there are endless possibilities in the medleys to be made and had from its keepings…

I began by saving small glass and plastic jars after their contents were spent, and instead of throwing them in the recycling bin I removed their labels (my favorite technique is to submerge and soak the jars in warm, soapy water for about 10-15 minutes, then rub the labels right off. Any labels that prove to be extra sticky, I take a metal scrubber to.) After allowing to dry thoroughly, I put uniform labels on each jar to inject some consistency. I used some Brides chalkboard stickers that I purchased at Michael’s.


I chose these stickers/labels so that I could interchange the contents of the jars. In some cases the labels wouldn’t remain “stuck”, so I used non-permanent adhesive glue dots to add a little extra stick’em.


I also tend to collect various vintage and apothecary-style bottles when I’m out thrifting, so I had a few of those to throw in for good measure, as well.


Next, it was a matter of choosing where to place these beautiful bottles. We (my family) found a mini curio when cleaning out my grandparents’ backyard barn a few years ago. It has been sitting in my attic waiting patiently for a project such as this. So I pulled it out and gave it a look over. It had a lot of wear-and-tear on it, but I knew it would be absolutely perfect for my apothecary!

It also needed new glass for the door. I took the door off the hinges and took it to a local glassworks to have it fitted for new glass.



My mother also suggested having a piece cut for the top, which I thought was brilliant. So I cobbled together some watercolor paper (since it was the closest thing I had to tracing paper), and did my best to trace and cut out the shape of the glass I wanted cut. Both pieces only set me back about $30!


Next it was time to give the old, dusty piece a little TLC. I wasn’t interested in “restoring” this piece, but I did want to give it a little confidence. So I started with a full wipedown using a soft cloth lightly dampened with soapy water and then followed that with a detailing using Old English Scratch Cover for Dark Woods. It really made the piece shine and bought out the rich tones in the wood and embellishments.


So, here she is after a good cleaning and shining, fitted with a custom glass top, and filled with all of my botanical treasures!



Here she is styled with a few of my favorite vintage bar accessories: a milk glass ice dish in a Greek key-style metal stand (which I can now set atop it since it has a glass top), a candy dish with an unusual hand-holding-a-baton topper that I found in an antique store in Calvary, GA, and filled with a set of vintage plastic garnish spears, and a set of coordinated cocktail skewers and glass designation rings.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s