Apology #1 – please forgive this late post, but there was just toooooo much going on Halloween weekend and just after, and then it felt weird to post about Halloween as we were all preparing for the holidays. So while this timing isn’t that much more appropriate, this is happening now…
Apology #2 – I sadly didn’t take any photos of the DIY projects I did to prepare for the party, as I was doing my best to fit projects in and around work and all of the crazy activities that had me so busy around that time.
So here’s a broad photo overview…
The Curiosty Cabinet:
I had a blast painting this styrofoam zombie head from Michael’s.
I printed macabre images on transparency film and cut them into circles. I rolled them up and inserted them into plastic Christmas balls (the kind found in a craft store designed to be filled) and placed them upside down on the candleholders of an ornate candelabra. This gave a sort of “crystal ball” effect and reflected beautifully in the candlelight.
Thrifted “plasma ball”.
I dismantled a thrifted baby doll and “dirtied up” the head and limbs with watered down acrylic paint that I would paint on and wipe off in layers until I achieved my desired effect. I painted the orifices black to make it extra creepy. I placed the head and limbs within a large apothecary jar I found at an estate sale and surrounded them with tea-stained cheesecloth.
A collection of thrifted vintage photos, Victorian macabre images, and eerie personal family photos.
I printed skull images on transparency film in various sizes and facings and printed them out and placed over top of the faces using double-sided tape in all of the vintage photos.
Another vintage photo with a skull-printed transparency placed over top.
I found a few interesting “clings” around Halloween at The Dollar Tree and placed them on mirrors.
Specimen jars created for a “Mad Scientist Party” I planned to throw 7 years ago but never did.
I used random items found in the toy section of the Dollar Tree for these specimen jars – plastic insects, squishy skulls, expandable snakes, fake teeth, mini brains, etc. I placed them in various condiment jars I had saved and cleaned and filled them with water and a drop or two of food coloring (and sometimes a pinch of coffee grounds). I spray-painted the lids black and glued twine around them.
I printed content descriptions on paper using an old-style typewriter font, then aged the paper using tea and coffee grounds. I was inspired by projects found on http://imakeprojects.com
Scientific illustrations printed, cut, and placed in various jars and decanters.
A collection of glass phlebotomy tools I found when we moved in and a cheap Halloween mask placed in a large pickle jar filled with water and a little coffee.
A book on meat found in a thrift store, combined with a thrifted scalpel and odd suctioning (possibly “cupping”) instrument found alongside the phlebotomy items.
I found this old collection of specimens captured in acrylic at an estate sale.
I used thin wire to attach styrofoam skulls and Dollar Tree snakes painted black to my living room light fixtures.
Small gourds and another Dollar Tree cling, combined with dried hydrangeas and vintage items I keep out on a regular basis continue the spooky ambience.
David got a masquerade mask to wear to the party.
Spider webbing for the living room bookcase.
Spider webbing and faux flicker bulbs for the chandelier.
I picked up these adorable rat cut-outs at Joann’s during a post-holiday sale. I attached them to the stair risers using double-sided tape.